INSURANCE FOR MOTORCYCLES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
Johnston Meier Insurance is investing in helping motorcycles stay adequately insured throughout British Columbia. Riding the highways and city streets is a freedom many bikers value, and our team of professionals wants to make sure they’re covered if they’re involved in an accident. Whether a collision is your responsibility or another driver is at fault for damages and injuries, the financial burdens can be overwhelming if your insurance doesn’t protect you from crushing medical bills, repair or replacement costs, and lost wages from missing work. Our province requires every driver and rider to have basic coverage with ICBC to operate any type of motorized vehicle on the road legally. While the minimal coverage ensures your motorcycle adheres to provincial laws, it may not sufficiently cover the costs associated with a collision or any other situation that damages your bike or injures yourself or others. We have a network of insurance providers that offer comprehensive coverage options with benefits that exceed those of basic ICBC insurance. You can also opt for additional benefits from ICBC, but going through a private insurer may provide options the fit your needs and budget better.
Get Private Coverage that Exceeds Your Basic ICBC Autoplan
Many bikers benefit from additional coverage to extend their protection past the confines of ICBC’s basic plan. ICBC’s Basic Autoplan includes essential coverage that provides the minimal amount of legal benefits. This includes accident benefits, third-party liability, underinsured motorist protection, inverse liability coverage, and protection against uninsured and hit-and-run drivers. The payout from these benefits meets the least required amounts to cover expenses related to an accident, which may fall short of what you need, whether you’re at fault or the other motorist is responsible. You can get additional coverage from ICBC or a private insurance agency. These add-ons ensure you won’t have to drain your savings account to pay the expenses resulting from a damaging incident. With Johnston Meier Insurance’s network of private insurance providers, we work with you to select the benefits you need to supplement your coverage, including the following examples:
- Excess Third-Party Liability – If you’re at fault for damages or injuries resulting from an accident, this coverage surpasses the $200K maximum of ICBC’s basic coverage.
- Collision – This option pays for your vehicle repairs, no matter who’s responsible for the accident.
- Comprehensive – You get protection for various types of motorcycle damage that aren’t related to a collision.
- Replacement Cost Coverage – If your motorcycle is declared a total loss, you can get a cash payout or brand-new new version of your bike.
- Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection – If you’re involved in a collision where the at-fault driver doesn’t have adequate coverage to pay for the resulting damages or injuries, this benefit covers you or any passenger on your motorcycle.
Common Hazards Motorcycles Face on the Road
Motorcycles don’t offer the same protection as a car, truck, or SUV, such as a steel vehicle body surrounding the driver, four-wheel drive, and other beneficial features. If you ride a motorcycle in Canada, you should be aware of the risks you might encounter on the road. Here are some examples of common hazards for motorcycles:
- Drivers Under the Influence – If a driver operates a car or motorcycle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, their judgment, reaction time, and general ability to drive a vehicle safely is severely compromised, which can easily result in an accident.
- Sudden Stops – A car or motorcycle stopping suddenly can lead to a rear-end collision by a driver or biker who was following too closely. For bikers, this can result in serious injury or death.
- Dangerous Road Conditions – Motorcycles are susceptible to road hazards of various types, including potholes, debris, and crumbling pavement. These road conditions can make it difficult to safely ride and lead to damages or injuries.
- Inexperienced Drivers – A driver with little experience behind the wheel or on a motorcycle is more likely to make unsafe moves that put neighboring motorists in jeopardy.
- Unsafe Lane Changes – When a driver fails to signal or check their blind spot before changing lanes, they risk colliding with a motorcyclist riding next to their vehicle.
- Speeding – Speeding is a leading cause of accidents because it reduces a driver’s ability to see and react to other drivers soon enough to avoid a collision. The faster a driver is traveling, the more severe the damage and injuries can be.
- Car Doors – Drivers who park and open their car doors without checking for oncoming motorcycles in their paths can cause a collision between the rider and the open door.
- Lane Splitting – “Lane splitting” is when a motorcyclist rides between two lanes of traffic. This practice is irresponsible and puts surrounding vehicles in danger of a collision.
We Offer ICBC Renewal to Ensure Legal Riding
Johnston Meier Insurance wants to help motorcyclists get the additional coverage they need, as well as maintain mandatory coverage our province requires of all vehicles. We offer ICBC renewals to ensure your basic insurance stays up-to-date. Once you’ve taken care of your ICBC coverage, we’ll gladly utilize our network of insurance providers to find you additional insurance benefits to cover the potential costs of a collision and other situations that put your motorcycle and personal welfare at risk.
Call Johnston Meier Insurance to Get Coverage
If you’re involved in an accident that results in damages or injuries to you or other drivers, it’s essential to have sufficient insurance coverage that doesn’t leave you with overwhelming expenses. Contact us today to get details on the coverage options we offer for motorcycles in British Columbia or request a quote to see what our insurance professionals can do for you.
Johnston Meier Insurance Agencies Group is a locally owned and operated insurance brokerage. We have grown from a single site, established in 1973 in Maple Ridge, BC to over 46 insurance agency locations throughout metro Vancouver and British Columbia.
Based on the simple principle of putting customers first, we are now one of the largest insurance agencies in the province and still growing. Our team of insurance professionals in both personal and business categories has a reputation for providing best in class service that saves you, our customer both time and money.
When you choose Johnston Meier you can rest assured, knowing that you’re protected against life’s unforeseen circumstances.
Safeguard yourself and the people you care about
Easy Payment Options
monthly financing | internet banking | cash or cheque | debit or credit card
For over 15 years Johnston Meier has taken care of our fleet of vehicles. Service is great and the staff are always friendly and helpful.
All the staff at your office always provides the highest standard of performance of any business I deal with.
We've been with this company over 20 years for business, residential and auto coverage. Trustworthy, top level service year after year from knowledgeable, courteous staff. Absolutely recommend for all types of insurance.
Johnston Meier Insurance Agencies Group goes the extra mile to ensure their clients are truly taken care of. The staff gives us a lot of personal attention, and we certainly recommend the insurance agency to everyone.
I have been through a series of moves including building a new house, furniture in storage, renting for a short period, etc. Colleen at your Salmon Arm office took care of all the steps along the way, explaining everything and following up as necessary. Thanks!
In all the years of dealing with insurance companies, I have never been treated so exceptionally well before! Shari Kidney made my experience amazing, she was extremely helpful, kind, and professional. She made a normally stressful task, quick and easy. Absolutely excellent customer service, I left the office feeling like I mattered and I highly recommend the Johnston Meier Group! Thank you Shari.
We appreciate Trish's professional expertise & trust her to ensure we have the proper coverage for our needs. Thank you for years of keeping us safe.
We are delighted with the personalized service you provided us in tailoring our insurance package to our needs and went out of your way to direct us to savings options, including the credit score discount!
My Husband and I have been dealing with Johnston Meier for over 20 years. All I can say is every one of the staff at Johnston Meier are amazing; professional, friendly, and knowledgeable, and I'm so glad that's where we get our insurance.
We've been with Johnston Meier ever since we started our Home Improvement Company. Garrin & his staff always impress with their attention to detail and customer service. Couldn't be happier
We've used the Johnston Meier Mobile department since opening Maple Ridge Hyundai. We can always rely on them to provide our customers and staff with quick efficient service and highly recommend them.
If you would like more information before visiting one of our locations, let us know. Someone from the closest insurance office; with the right experience will contact you to help with your questions.
And don’t worry – we won’t use your contact information for anything other than replying to your request.